Monday, June 13, 2011

Momma Donna's


I've found my new favorite spot for a late night bite.
Dishing out an array of your good ol' American bar eats, Momma Donna takes drunk food to the next level.
Momma's eclectic decor of brightly colored walls, hanging african tribal masks and chinese checkers boards also give the restaurant a comfortable, homey feeling. Momma's miscellaneous furnishings go even further with table tops covered in a collage of timeless newspaper and magazine cut-outs of Lennon and post WWII headlines that shout "PEACE" and "THE WAR IS OVER".
"Around here, anything goes," Donna said.
Her menu is simple. Whether or not I'm drunk, simple is better.
"I'm not trying to sell people on the details," Donna said. "I'm not looking to draw a snobby crowd," Donna said. "Once people start criticizing my food, that's where we have problems."
The everyday customer or late-night prowler would probably have no idea that she hand carmalizes bacon, allows her burger buns to proof (rise) for 20 hours and even uses free-range beef in all of her burgers. Most of the produce used in her dishes are also local.
On my visit, I ordered the PBJ Burger. The sweet bun, thick cut bacon, patty and a healthy dose of PBJ actually works. I returned the next day for her other house special, the Hawaiian Loco Moco. Coming from Hawaii while being a State Street regular, Momma Donna's couldn't be more convenient. I was meant for this place.

While sipping on my Hemp Ale, to match my irie mood, I enjoyed Donna's tableside company, which is just as good as her food. After enjoying my burger and a brew, I left the place with the peace of mind that reminds me of getting off the phone after a good talk with family, or even dinner at my mom's house.
(My mom would probably get mad if she read this).

No comments:

Post a Comment